Finding Your LYS

Have you ever been traveling and wished you could find a nearby yarn store? Well, last weekend I realized that my Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx, lists yarns stores. It tells me how far it is and of course gives me inch by inch driving directions. I had heard that of all the gps manufacturers Garmin had the best data and now I believe it.

The only drawback is that if you don't know the name of the shop , you may miss the place. To get around this, I searched under the keywords "yarn", "knit" and "craft". Just these gave me many places to buy yarn.

If you are in NYC and don't want to or need to drive here is an easier way to find your LYS. Check out this LYS map. I'm not sure who put it together, but it's pretty helpful.

Back to the GPS unit. I really recommend it since it has fabulous road maps, Blue Charts for kayaking and best of all it is waterproof AND floats!

And just to be thorough, you can see my latest sock project under the GPS in my hands. It's Meilenweit by Lana Grossa yarn and I am attempting another pair of socks for Robert. The first pair was too short in the foot and the heel flap. So I wear them. The second pair I over compensated with a super huge heel flap and they are a bit too big. Robert wears them to sleep in when we camp.

I actually made a gauge swatch for each pair and with each yarn and even using different size needles. I recently read that a good way to learn sock making is to knit a number of pairs of socks with the same yarn. Different colors are OK of course.

With each subsequent pair you can refine you skills and thus learn the process fully before adding new variables. After this pair I will buy yarn for at least two more pairs of socks using Koigu, what I used for my first pair.

Comments