New Socks Not as Planned, But Might be Better

I started on a new pair of socks last night, but it was a very different pair from what I had in mind in the morning.

Originally, I had planned in using up some bright fushia cheapo wool/acrylic - Steinbach Wolle Jumbo - since I wanted this to be another practice pair of socks. I see bright happy fushia and everyone who saw the ball of yarn on my desk, distainfully said "Yuck, I am blinded. What's that yarn for." After saying "Practice" socks.", they usually humphed and walked off.

I can be dense, but eventually I got a clue. This yarn is just plain ugly and realistically I wouldn't wear these even if the sock shape were perfect. And no one would appreciate them as a gift either. Probably, even the Salvation Army would reject them or use a pair of three foot long tongs to carry them to the trash.

But, still I wanted to start on what I hope to be my last pair of practice socks before I dig into the sock yarn stash of Koigu,
Kaffe Fassett Regia, Trekking XXL, Artyarns, etc.

I marched off to my LYS, Stitches East, and explained what I wanted. Joyce totally understood. She suggested a high quality, yet inexpensive skein of Berroco Comfort Sock yarn.

Once I got home I dragged out my copy of Sensational Knitted Socks, knitted two gauge swatches, picked a pattern and began.

I am also using my first knitting chart. It's very simple, but it gets my feet wet in regards to learning this skill.

And I learned the twisted German Cast on, by watching a video on You Tube by the Knit Witch.

Comments