Gauging Gone Wrong - Again

I finished one of a pair of socks made with Berroco Comfort Sock yarn. They look great, but like the first pair of socks I ever knit are way too wide. The length is great, the heel flap could be just a 1/4 inch shorter, but the ankle and foot circumference is way too big.

I swatched and I swatched and I swatched. Got my gauge and double checked again. Multiplied, divided, measured, counted and recounted stitches. Read and reread the charts in "Sensational Knitted Socks". My socks should fit my 8 1/4 inch foot. In fact they should be 1/4 too small for a nice snug fit.

Gauge of 7.5 x 8 inches = 60 to Cast On. The whole thing is a rib pattern so it should pull tighter. Specifically chose a rib pattern to tighten it up.

But, when I gently stretch the sock to a snug - not tight by any means - fit, the circumference is 10 inches. I could stretch it even further if I wanted.

The sock moves all around my foot, it does not stay put. I am very sad, but will finish the second sock and have this pair as a potential gift for someone with a foot my length, but a bit wider.

This was suppose to be my last "practice" pair of socks before I dug into my nice sock yarn, but I may have to get another ball of Berroco and try again.

Comments