Boring Meanderings on Current Knitting Projects

Lots of knitting over the weekend, but nothing to show for it.

I was so sure that by Sunday evening I would have finished my first sweater. It being my first I had no idea how much work all the seaming is. I seamed the shoulders, attached one sleeve (kind of puckered looking) and started on one side seam.

After rereading the instructions I realized in addition to the collar, I still have to knit i-cord along the cardigan opening. Many hours of work left. I don't even know how to knit i-cord attached to an edge and the instructions make me dizzy.

In regards to the shoulder, I had been advised to not bother pinning, just start in the armpit and work up the front over the shoulder and down the back. It came out a little lumpy as I tried to get it all the fit. I will pin the other sleeve first, starting at the center top, then attach. If this looks much better, I'll redo the first one. If it looks the same, then I'll leave them and chalk it up to my very first sweater experience.

In other knitting news, I am determined to really learn socks. I mean learn to make a really excellent pair of socks. So far, I've knit four pairs and each if better than the last. But, I think I can do better.

I understand all the parts - gusset, heel turn, etc. My problem is alway with the sizing. Too loose around the leg & ankle, heel flap first too short then too long, cast on too tight, foot too short.

The swatches seem to never quite match the knitted sock material. Could it have to do with the swatch being knitted with straight needles and the sock in the round with dpn?

Here is my game plan: to use the German twisted CO and to triple check the foot length before decreasing for the toes. At this point I can follow the heel flap sizes that finally worked for my foot and for my husband's foot.

To add more confusion, each sock was made with a different yarn. To add consistency, I could knit a few pairs of socks with the same yarn. That will let me figure out all the other variables.

Lastly, I finished a second pair of the Fetching fingerless gloves from Knitty.com, these in merino, on US5 needles. A redo, last time I used US 7. Much better, but he Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran make an irresistible to the touch glove. I started a third pair, like the first , in dark brown cashmerino. These will be a gift for Evie.

Since I don't get paid to knit, or write this blog, and my break is over, I'll end my boring meanderings here.

Comments